We base our educational approach on these beliefs:
- Good teaching and learning changes people’s lives;
- Philosophical teaching is good teaching;
- Philosophical learning helps students individually and as members of society;
- Philosophy for Children is the best route into Philosophical Teaching and Learning.
Philosophical Teaching and Learning is an inquiry-led pedagogy that develops student understanding and appreciation beyond the levels normally achievable though traditional teaching. It is applicable whatever the curriculum or subject, and whatever the age of the students.
P4C is at the core of our approach: we have extended it in three important ways:
- Distilled the pedagogy so that it can be taken directly into the broader curriculum;
- Introduced Thinking Moves to encourage active meta-cognition;
- Created explicit links between P4C and Personal, Social and Intellectual Virtues.
Thinking Moves is a vocabulary of the 26 most important sorts of thinking. As an A-Z of meta-cognition, it encourages deliberate thinking about thinking.
Philosophical Teaching and Learning accelerates the development of:
- Personal Virtues, or character strengths
- Social Virtues, or collaborative strengths
- Intellectual Virtues or cognitive strengths
DialogueWorks offers tailored training and support to help schools and educational organisations implement Philosophical Teaching and Learning. Click here for details.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information